Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Irish Free State

So I've received my marching orders and my assignment is to write a song on top of the backing track provided by The Incredible Flight of Birdman. As I listen to this track more and more, I'm struck by its minimalist beauty. Simple, yet elegant. It conveys a melancholy and to me a sense of futility. No subject was provided, but the music is calling to mind a twilight false calm among green hills and rolling fields of barley. I'm definitely thinking of the Irish War for Independence, which is a rich history that is dear to my namesake. It is a war that ended on a real down note with the Anglo-Irish treaty that divided Republicans right down the middle and led quickly to the Irish Civil War. So that's where I am at the moment. I will make a full report when I'm nearer my immediate destination, which is Easter 1916.

On a related note, I cannot be happier that LCpl Greg Dean has been assigned to work on my backing track, The Glorious Dead. I'm sure he will make his country proud. Everyone, please wear a poppy in support of the troops. Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. oh crap. Think I'll have to ditch my Paul Hardcastle inspired comedy rap: ' N-N-N-N -Twenty Three'.



    Greg

    ReplyDelete