Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Glorious Dead

Hi all. I've been working on a backing track that is inspired by the idea of glorifying the dead who fought to secure victory. This seems fitting with Remembrance Day coming very soon. When I started scratching out ideas for my very first IML track I had been thinking about a rather more tense and energetic composition that was more along the lines of the thrill of battle. I couldn't manage to make that work though, and before long this idea took over. It is a layered guitar ballad in a major key (E) and could probably work as a love song (eyuck). But no. It's not a love song, okay? It's about dead soldiers. It's somewhat triumphant without (I hope) sounding pompous or pretentious. It is a work in progress, but the basic elements are there. Working title, The Glorious Dead.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first IML composition! 'The glorious dead' sounds like a worthy and moving subject. Remembrance opens the door to the world of War Poetry, which will be awesome for whoever gets your backing track.

    I too started out with grand ideas of writing an energetic battle-inspired song (something along the lines of Iron Maiden) - but once I actually thought about War, things got emotive pretty quickly.

    BTW - don't worry about a title - that's for the singer/lyricist to decide once they've received your track and written their lyrics. Submit your mix titled with your chosen subject e.g. 'Remembrance' or 'Fallen Soldiers' - you can always contact the artist after they've been designated your track with specific ideas about your inspiration (or direct them to this post.)

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim. Yeah, that's what I meant. Subject = "The Glorious Dead", and I imagine that's the title I'll submit with it. If that's too vague to give on the album as a subject then I'm not too fussed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The Glorious Dead' is great for the subject title - I just didn't want you to be disappointed when someone re-titles it 'Mr Shitty, the Bravest Dog in Vietnam.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha! I think that's going to have to be the title now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete