Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Purple Heart

Just had the pleasure of completing the vocals on Matt Flaherty's ace backing track. The track is called Purple Heart, after the American medal awarded to all those killed or injured in service, and is from the point of view of a US soldier questioning his patriotism as he faces the inevitability of death on the battlefield. With a comedy rap middle 8... (just joking Matt)

Its been a tough assignment - with a voice best suited to elevators and weddings, nailing a rock vocal has always eluded me. Rock generally requires a register higher than mine and something of a gritty nature in the vocal tone (which sadly a few teenage years party-smoking Silk Cut has not given me). My previous attempts at a rock voice have sounded like Kermit fronting Aerosmith. And those were the good takes.

Anyway its nearly done and hopefully sounds worthy of the effort Matt had put into his opus. Just a 'cold light of day' listen tomorrow, a few tweaks and mission complete.

Roger and out

Greg

4 comments:

  1. Really, really looking forward to hearing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, you are far too modest. Your vocals and lyrics are brilliant, as I knew they would be. While your voice may lend itself better to some styles than others, it is very versatile. I'm quite pleased with the result. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt, just played it to my family for the traditionally brutal deconstruction:
    My wife said that I had successfully summoned the spirits of Slash and Axl Rose. For a second I was happy, and then she added that the vocals sounded like Slash and the guitar solo like Axl Rose.
    My 6 year old said that I 'had tried very hard', which I think was probably crueller!
    Looking forward to seeing that folder fill up over the next few days. Mediafire stalled during upload countless times - I hope this problem hasn't affected anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That problem with Mediafire affected me a great deal two days ago. Wow. Family can be brutal. What can I say? I know you tried very hard. It shows throughout. I think it's great. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete